Please Note

Whenever you use the links on my blog's to make purchases, such as from Mystic Monk Coffee, CCleaner, and others, I earn a small commission. This commission does not have any effect on your costs.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Visions of Saint Gemma Galgani



Gemma Galgani was born in the year 1878 in the village Camigliano, Italy. Unlike many other Saints Gemma was born into a prestigious family, but when God touches the heart of His beloved children, wealth matters not.

From an early age the young Gemma was able to see and converse with her guardian Angel who was not adverse in correcting her when she decided to wear some jewelry which had been given to her as a gift, Gemma's Guardian Angel appeared before her and said, "Remember, the spouse of the Crucified King should wear no ornaments but thorns and crosses". Upon hearing this Gemma vowed never to wear such vanities again! Her Guardian Angel often stressed deeply the need for continual obedience and would repeat this often to her, "Obedience! You must obey! You must be like a dead body; whatever is asked of you, you must obey quickly and joyfully!" He would also warn her with these words, for Gemma was a very strong minded young lady, "If you do not obey, I will not show myself to you, again." Gemma though loved God above all and listened to her beloved Guardian Angel, even though she was going through a dark night of the soul.

As Gemma's diary reveals, " I do not know what will happen to me this year. I abandon myself to You, my God; all my hopes and affections shall be for You. I am weak, oh Jesus, but I trust in Your help and I resolve to live differently, namely, closer to You." Gemma was to suffer both spiritually and physically as her health worsened, she developed meningitis a very dangerous at times fatal illness, and also large abscesses were found covering her head, she soon also became paralyzed, as she waited for death to take her.

During this time Gemma began to pray to the then Venerable Gabriel Possenti as she lay awake at nights and read his biography. It was as her family was preparing themselves for Gemma's death that one night Gabriel Possenti appeared before Gemma and asked her, "Do you wish to recover? Pray with faith every evening to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I will come to you until the Novena is ended, and will pray together to this Most Sacred Heart." It was not long before Gemma was cured she attributed her cure to the Venerable Gabriel Possenti.

Before Mass began on Holy Thursday Gemma decided to go to Confession and as she was praying, she came to understand how sin can grievously harm the soul, and cried out in remorse for her own sins. During this time Jesus appeared before Gemma and said to her, "Look at my wounds and learn how to love. Look at this Cross, these Wounds, these nails, these bruises and lacerations, and this Blood. See to what extent I have loved you, do you want to love Me? First, learn to suffer; suffering teaches how to love."

For a while Gemma entertained thoughts of becoming a Religious, something she longed for with all her heart and soul but due to her poor health this was not to be. It was after she had attended Mass and received our Lord in Communion that our Lady appeared to Gemma that evening and said to her, "My son Jesus loves thee beyond measure and wishes to give thee a grace. I will be a mother to thee. Wilt thou be a true child?" When Gemma consented our Lady then placed her Mantle around this young girl.

Gemma herself reveals in her diary what happened next, "At that moment Jesus appeared with all his wounds open, but from these wounds there no longer came forth blood, but flames of fire. In an instant these flames came to touch my hands, my feet and my heart. I felt as if I were dying, and should have fallen to the ground had not my mother held me up, while all the time I remained beneath her mantle. I had to remain several hours in that position. Finally she kissed my forehead, all vanished, and I found myself kneeling. But I still felt great pain in my hands, feet and heart. I rose to go to bed, and became aware that blood was flowing from those parts where I felt pain. I covered them as well as I could, and then helped by my Angel, I was able to go to bed …" Many people over the following years would witness this miracle of the stigmata.

It would be soon that Jesus would request of Gemma to be a victim soul for the sins of the world, which was crying out for the Just Judgment of God, Gemma immediately acquiesced to Jesus request. So it was that in 1902 Gemma became seriously ill and began to vomit blood. It was also here that once again, desolation of soul would grip Gemma's heart and also here that the Devil tried to attack this saintly woman in whatever way he could. As a friend of Gemma's describes, "That abominable beast will be the end of our dear Gemma- deafening blows, forms of ferocious animals, etc.- I came away from her with tears because the demon is wearing her out." We also have the account of Gemma's Spiritual Director, Fr. Germano where he states, "The poor sufferer passed days, weeks and months in this way, giving us an example of heroic patience and motives for salutary fear of what may happen to us, who have not Gemma’s merits at the terrible hour of death."

Even though Gemma was in terrible suffering her Faith never wavered as she underwent her own Calvary for the salvation of sinners. Her heart was full of love for Jesus, Mary as she willingly suffered for love of God and man.

This devout soul who showed herself a true soldier of God suffered till the end and in her last words, she uttered this, "I seek for nothing more; I have made the sacrifice of everything and of everyone to God... Now it is indeed true that nothing more remains to me, Jesus. I recommend my poor soul to Thee … Jesus!"

Saint Gemma Galgani died an heroic death as was recorded by her Spiritual Director, Venerable Fr. Germanus C.P.

Peace of Christ to ALL

Copyright © 2006 Marie Smith. All rights reserved.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...